Canada Gairdner Global Health Award
The John Dirks Canada Gairdner Global Health Award recognizes the world’s top scientists who have made a major impact on Global Health. The award includes a $100,000 CAD prize and the winner’s participation in the Gairdner Foundation’s internationally unique scientific program, including a keynote speech at the Annual Consortium of Universities for Global Health Meeting, the Gairdner National Program Lectures, and the Canada Gairdner Gala Awards Dinner in Toronto, Canada in October 2017.
Since its inception 8 years ago, the Global Health Award has grown significantly to become one of the world’s most prestigious awards recognizing excellence in global health research.
View past winners HERE.
Nominations are requested for:
- Individuals who have made major scientific advances with a significant impact on health outcomes in the developing world.
This award is science-focused, and is not intended for those with primarily leadership and administrative accomplishments. Posthumous or self nominations are not accepted.
Nominators must provide the following:
- Nomination Summary including the following:
- Bio, full CV and bibliography, including up-to-date contact information for the nominee
- Minimum two (2) letters of support. Letters should be from internationally representative colleagues, should knowledgeably describe the work, impact and relative position of the nominee in their field, and should clearly articulate what distinguishes the nominee from colleagues.
The Advisory Committee is comprised of 12-15 international experts in the field of Global Health who have a clear understanding of the basic, clinical population, and social science issues in global health. The selection is submitted to the Gairdner Board of Directors for formal approval.
- The recipient is expected to participate in the National Program that takes place across Canada.
- Upon notification, the award must be accepted by the recipient within a term decided by the Foundation, and be received in person by the recipient at the Canada Gairdner Awards dinner on October 2017.
- The Prize is valued at $100,000 CAD, and is for the personal use of the recipient. An award citation and a commemorative item will also be presented.
- Awards are made to residents of any country without restriction of gender, race, religion, creed or nationality.
- Expenses for travel and accommodation for recipients and their partners to accept the awards are paid by Gairdner.
- Nominations will be held for up to 3 years, but nominations should be updated annually.
- All selections are final, and are not subject to review or challenge.
- Please submit in electronic format (MS Word or PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Nominations for 2017 should be received no later than October 1, 2016. (Please note that this is a strict deadline date) Nominations received after this date will be considered the following year.
Nominations for 2017, must be received by October 1, 2016.
This is a strict deadline. Nominations received after this date will be considered the following year.